24 Mar 19 Ways to Be More Effective Today
We tend to get overwhelmed by change because when we think of making changes we think big. Moving, marrying, divorcing, becoming a parent, career transitioning. But often the most effective change comes in smaller forms. It is seemingly minor lifestyle changes that can lead to improved outlook, focus and success.
Embrace three of these 19 ways to make improvements today and watch as subtle change rolls in and makes a not-so-subtle impact:
- Stay Away From TGIFersAnyone with a negative attitude will bring you down. Don’t be one and don’t hang with one.
- Remember That You Can Shine AnywhereIf you feel stuck – in a job or a business, aim to exceed all expectations. Talent rises to the top, so make it your business to shine.
- Turn Off When You Are Off
When you are with your family or friends, turn off your technology and be present. Figuratively and literally, if the phone is on the table, you are not at the table.
- Dress as Though Today is a Day to RememberOur day tends to rise to our expectations of it.
- Reach Out to an Old Contact
- It is far easier to rekindle an old relationship than to form a new one. History counts.
- Make a Cold ContactThat someone you have always wanted to connect with? Do it today.
- Share YourselfAyn Rand once said that people were not mean to be oysters. Make sure you have a couple of friends that you open up to.
- Write as Though it is a Final DraftEveryone falls victim to the typo, but when you proofread, you insure it’s infrequency.
- Do a Self-checkNot the medical kind but a growth check. Did I learn something today? If the answer is “no,” start reading or change your crowd.
- Make Your To-Do List at the End of the DayThis way you will hit tomorrow running.
- Dole Out the ComplementsA case where saving doesn’t do you any good.
- Talk More About Them Than YouYou will learn more by listening and they will walk away feeling great.
- Stop Thinking of Reading as AncillaryThe more you read, the smarter you are – in your career and your life.
- Be LoyalThe amount of good that can come from being the reliable friend or family member far outweighs the moments you give up to be loyal to those you love.
- Dream BigWhile it is easy to think of dreams as the stuff of fantasy, they serve the practical purpose of helping you to reach your potential.
- Monitor Your Social Media ProfilesMake sure your bios are up to date,that your photo is bright and professional and that your content is consistent.
- Give a HugWe all have a deep seeded need to connect. Giving a six second hug will make the recipient and you feel instantly better.
- Be a SpongeIf a book or person is mentioned to you that you are not yet familiar with, write it down and research later.
- Ask QuestionsCuriosity fuels your mind and your soul. Always be learning.Samantha Ettus is a bestselling author, TV personality, radio host and speaker. Connect with her at @samanthaettus.
To read this article on Forbes, please click here.
Samantha Ettus is a bestselling author & corporate speaker. The Pie Life: A Guilt-Free Recipe for Success and Satisfaction will be released in September.